Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What Defines You?



This was part of our most recent lesson in girls' group. Discovering how we define ourselves. Really, though, it's a choice. We choose what we define ourselves by, even though what we choose may not be the truth.

Sometimes we choose to define ourselves by our circumstances, or what others do to us. We tell ourselves that we are just a result of the events in our life. If this is how we choose to define ourselves, we will not get very far! If we define ourselves by our circumstances, we will break apart when something "bad" happens. This is obviously not the right way.

Then we sometimes allow what other people think of us to define us. We tell ourselves that what others think must be the truth. If this is how we choose to define ourselves, we will break apart when someone looks down on us for whatever reason. Still yet, we will break apart when we think others think badly of us! This is obviously not the right way.

And many times, we define ourselves by what we have done in the past. We have all done something we regret, and when we hold on to that, we break apart. This is obviously not the right way.

I could go on about different ways we ladies attempt to define ourselves, but the truth is that there is only one way that will yield to us the truth.

It's defining ourselves by the Truth!

let go.
let go.
let go.
let go.
let go!

So, let's let go of those wrong definitions of ourselves~ our circumstances, others' perceptions, and the past, and let's move on!

Philippians 3:13-14
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

We can start by defining ourselves by what God says is true. Here is a list to get y'all started!


     This is a neat tool called an "identity statement." This will help you when you are feeling discouraged or negative about yourself, because it reminds you of your God-given personality.

     What to do: The bell contains statements found in the Bible that are true of every Christian. I suggest you print it out, and read through it, highlighting five or six statements that seem to jump out at you.

     Next steps: Now it's time to start writing your identity statement. Start with your name. (My name is _______.) Then comes your spiritual identity, the five or six statements that you highlighted from the bell. Next, write down your relations to people you influence. (I am the daughter of _____ and _____.) These do not have to include only family members, but anyone you influence. Now, put in organizations or things you are part of or do regularly. ( I am a member of _____Church or I work at ______ or I have the gift of _____) The rest are things that come to your mind specifically, like a life verse.

     I encourage you to write this out and keep it with you. When you are feeling negative about yourself, fill yourself with truth by reading this and believing it!



I KNOW WHO I AM
I am God's child (John 1:12)
I am Christ's friend (John 15:15)
I am united with the Lord(1 Cor. 6:17)
I am bought with a price(1 Cor. 6:19-20)
I am a saint (set apart for God). (Eph. 1:1)
I am a personal witness of Christ. (Acts 1:8)
I am the salt & light of the earth (Matt. 5:13-14)
I am a member of the body of Christ(1 Cor. 12:27)
I am free forever from condemnation ( Rom. 8:31 -34)
I  am a citizen of Heaven.  I am significant. ( Phil. 3 :20 )
I  am  free  from any charge against me. ( Rom. 8:31-34 )
I  am a minister  of reconciliation for God. (2Cor. 5:17-21)
I  have  access  to God through the Holy Spirit.  (Eph. 2:18)
I  am  seated  with  Christ in the heavenly realms. ( Eph. 2:6 )
I  cannot be separated  from the love of God.  ( Rom. 8: 35-39 )
I am established, annointed, and sealed by God. (2 Cor. 1:21-22)
I am  assured all things work  together   for   good. ( Rom. 8 : 28 )
I  have  been  chosen  and  appointed  to  bear  fruit. ( John 15:16 )
I  may  approach God with  freedom  and  confidence.  ( Eph. 3:12 )
I  can  do all  things  through Christ who  strengthens  me. ( Phil. 4:13 )
I  am the branch of the true vine, a channel of  His life. ( John 15 : 1 - 5 )
I  am God's  temple ( 1 Cor. 3:16 ). I  am complete in  Christ ( Col. 2 : 10 )
I am hidden with Christ in God ( Col. 3 : 3 ). I have been justified ( Romans 5 :1 )
I am God's co-worker (1 Cor. 3 : 9; 2 Cor. 6:1). I am God's workmanship ( Eph.
2:10)
I  am confident  that  the  good  work  God  has  begun  in  me  will  be  perfected.
(Phil. 1:5)
I have been redeemed and forgiven ( Col. 1 : 14 ). I have been adopted as God's
child (Eph. 1:5).
I belong to God.



A practical way to use this list:
    This is a neat tool called an "identity statement." This will help you when you are feeling discouraged or negative about yourself, because it reminds you of your God-given personality.

     What to do: The bell contains statements found in the Bible that are true of every Christian. I suggest you print it out, and read through it, highlighting five or six statements that seem to jump out at you.

     Next steps: Now it's time to start writing your identity statement. Start with your name. (My name is _______.) Then comes your spiritual identity, the five or six statements that you highlighted from the bell. Next, write down your relations to people you influence. (I am the daughter of _____ and _____.) These do not have to include only family members, but anyone you influence. Now, put in organizations or things you are part of or do regularly. ( I am a member of _____Church or I work at ______ or I have the gift of _____) The rest are things that come to your mind specifically, like a life verse.

     I encourage you to write this out and keep it with you. When you are feeling negative about yourself, fill yourself with truth by reading this and believing it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! We love to hear from you :D