Saturday, January 18, 2014

Where is Your Treasure?



Mansion Over the Hilltop

a hymn by George Morgan
I'm satisfied with just a cottage below,
A little silver and a little gold;
But in that city where the ransomed will shine
I want a gold one that's silver-lined.
~ refrain~
I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old;
And someday yonder we will never more wander
But walk on streets that are purest gold.
~~~
Tho' often tempted, tormented and tested
And, like the prophet, my pillow a stone;
And tho' I find here no permanent dwelling
I know He'll give me a mansion my own.
~refrain~
Don't think me poor or deserted or lonely
I'm not discouraged, I'm Heaven bound;
I'm just a pilgrim in search of a city
I want a mansion, a harp and a crown.
~refrain~
Life is precious, and all too short. In an instant, it can end. 
So why do we spend so much time in this life chasing after things that won't last?
Over and over and over again,we watch the same TV show episodes, the same movies read the same magazines and books, play the same video games. We build up our possessions around us until we are comfortable. We seek to find security in human relationships that can and will at some point falter.
But for what profit? 
And at what price?
For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? Mark 8:35-37
If we spend our lives  striving for more more more things here on earth, and lose sight of what really matters--bringing glory to God--we miss the whole point of living.
Jesus promised us a mansion in Heaven.
In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. John 14:2-3 
He also cautioned us not to lay up treasures on earth.
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21 
The things we have here on earth remain when we die. You can't take it with you.
But if we build up treasures in Heaven, our hearts will be far more Christ-centered. Our desire will be for the Lord! As we serve and grow closer to Him, He will bless us far beyond our wildest dreams. Not merely with things here on earth, but with eternal rewards and blessings. Are you more concerned with your mansion here on earth or the one Christ is building for you in Heaven?
Let's begin today to build up treasures in Heaven, for they will last for all eternity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! We love to hear from you :D